Useful Links:

Antiques.com
Kovels Antiques Appraisals
Antiques Roadshow

Get rid of smell in china cabinet?

Discuss Antique China & Dinnerware

Postby stanhop » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:05 am

We own an antique china cabinet that I recently converted to a bookcase. I cleaned it out with Murphy's oil soap over the summer to get rid of the musty, old smell. It still had a bit of a smell, so I put a scented air freshener in the cabinet. I'm now 9 weeks pregnant and the smell from the china cabinet/bookcase is making me so sick. Is there something I can do to neutralize the smell? I've tried burning candles nearby, etc and nothing seems to work. I don't want to cover up the smell with another smell, as that seems to make the situation worse......
stanhop

Postby berford22 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:18 am

Your best bet may be activated charcoal. Two years ago, I refinished a hutch that had sat unused in my grandmother's house for several years (she was in a nursing home). Even refinishing the piece and coating with shellac did not totally eliminate the smell, but it helped. It just takes time.

Other than the charcoal, the only thing I can think of is to move the cabinet outside (weather permitting) and let it air out.

Edit: Sorry to come back and suggest more stuff that may be useless....I really feel for you since you're pregnant. Can you have someone move the cabinet out of the house until after the baby comes? Maybe it will air out by that time. You could also try an air sanitizer. Ozium is the best I've found, but you'll run the risk of staining or spotting the wood on the cabinet.

http://www.atmosphereproducts.com/product_images/ozium/index.html
berford22

Postby jedediah » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:19 am

If you clean with vinegar it will make the wood darker but vinegar often removes smells. Mix vinegar and oil together and wash with a damp rag.
jedediah

Return to Antique China & Dinnerware