Welcome to AntiquesForum.org!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

Antiques.com
Kovels Antiques Appraisals
Antiques Roadshow

I need 10 really interesting facts about the artist, Joan Miro?

Discuss Antique Art

Postby nemesio » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:56 pm

My art teacher wants us to find 10 interesting facts about an artist and I chose a guy named Joan Miro, and I need some interesting facts about him, they actually have to be INTERESTING nothing like when they were born or what schools they attended or any basic information, she is very picky when it comes to what is and isn't interesting so please help me! I've only found 4!
nemesio

Postby arte » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:02 pm

He began drawing classes at the age of seven at a private school at Carrer del Regomir 13, a medieval mansion.

In 1907 he enrolled at the fine art academy at La Llotja, to the dismay of his father.

He studied at the Cercle Artístic de Sant Lluc and he had his first solo show in 1918 at the Dalmau Gallery, where his work was ridiculed and defaced. Inspired by Cubist and surrealist exhibitions from abroad,

Miró began his career as an accountant, abandoning the business world completely for art after suffering a nervous breakdown.

In 1924, Miró joined the Surrealist group. The already symbolic and poetic nature of Miró’s work, as well as the dualities and contradictions inherent to it, fit well within the context of dream-like automatism espoused by the group. Much of Miró’s work lost the cluttered chaotic lack of focus that had defined his work thus far, and he experimented with collage and the process of painting within his work so as to reject the framing that traditional painting provided. This antagonistic attitude towards painting manifested itself when Miró referred to his work in 1924 ambiguously as “x” in a letter to poet friend Michel Leiris. The paintings that came out of this period were eventually dubbed Miró’s dream paintings.

Miró’s work rarely dipped into non-objectivity, maintaining a symbolic, schematic language. This was perhaps most prominent in the repeated Head of a Catalan Peasant series of 1924 to 1925.

In 1926, he collaborated with Max Ernst on designs for ballet impresario Sergei Diaghilev. With Miró's help, Ernst pioneered the technique of grattage, in which he troweled pigment onto his canvases.

Though a sense of nationalism pervaded his earliest surreal landscapes and Head of a Catalan Peasant, it wasn’t until Spain’s Republican government commissioned him to paint the mural, The Reaper, for the Spanish Republican Pavilion at the 1937 Paris Exhibition, that Miró’s work took on a politically charged meaning.

In 1974, Miró created a tapestry for the World Trade Center in New York City. He had initially refused to do a tapestry, then he learned the craft and produced several.

His World Trade Center Tapestry was displayed for many years at the World Trade Center building and it was one of the most expensive works of art lost during the September 11 attacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Miro
arte

Postby adooeette » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:21 pm

*wikipedia*
*google*
*bing*
adooeette

Postby chao » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:26 pm

see http://www.ndoylefineart.com/miro.html
hope that helps
chao

Return to Antique Art